Ingredients For the cake
175g self raising flour
175g caster sugar
3 large eggs
1tsp baking powder
20 drops Lemon foodie flavouring
For the syrup
100g caster sugar
7 drops Lemon foodie flavouring
1. Preheat the oven to 160 for fan ovens or 180 for normal oven or gas 4. Line a 2lb loaf tin (or use a ready made loaf tin liner).
2. Place all the cake ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix together either with a wooden spoon or an electric whisk.
3. Pour the cake mix into the loaf tin and bake in the oven for 60 Minutes (check after 45 minutes.) It is ready when it is golden brown and when a skewer is inserted it comes out clean.
4. Whilst the cake is baking prepare the syrup. In a small pan gently heat the caster sugar and water stirring with a wooden spoon to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly and add the lemon foodie flavour stirring it in.
5. When the cake is baked remove from the tin (leaving liner on if possible). Place on a cooling rack with a baking sheet underneath (to catch drips). Make some holes in the cake with a metal skewer and paint on the syrup with a pastry brush liberally allowing it to soak into the cake.