for the icing –
150g plain chocolate
150ml (1/4) pint double cream
16 drops of Cherry Foodie Flavouring
For the chocolate sponge –
200g self raising flour
half a teaspoon of baking powder
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
4 medium eggs
225g soft margarine
225g light soft brown sugar
1 tablespoon milk
3 desert spoons of Jam mixed with 2 drops of Cherry Foodie Flavouring
two 20cm round cake tins
1. For the chocolate icing, break the chocolate into pieces. Put the pieces into a heatproof bowl and add the cream. Then pour about 5cm water into a saucepan.
2. Heat the water until it bubbles, then take the pan off the heat. Put the bowl onto the pan and stir the chocolate and cream until the chocolate has melted. Add the 15 drops of Cherry Foodie Flavouring.
3. Let the icing cool for a few minutes. Then put it in the fridge for at least an hour, stirring it every now and then, as it thickens. Meanwhile make the cake.
4. Heat the oven to 180.c. Pour a little cooking oil into the each tin and wipe it over the inside of the tin. Then put the tins on some greaseproof paper.
5. Draw around the tins cut the circles out and place them in the tins. Then, put the flour, baking powder and cocoa into a sieve and sift them into a large bowl.
6. Break the egg into a mug. Add them to the large bowl, then add the milk. Stir everything well. Spoon the mixture into the tins and smooth the tops.
7. Bake the cakes in the oven for about 25minutes. Then, wearing oven gloves carefully lift them out. Press them with a finger, to see if they are cooked.
8. Leave the cakes in the tins for 5 minutes. Run a knife around them and turn them out onto a wire rack. Peel off the grease proof paper and leave them to cool.
9. Mix the 3 desert spoons of jam with 2 drops of Cherry Foodie Flavouring. Then spread some of the icing over the top of one of the cakes then in the middle spread the jam mixed with the cherry flavouring. Then place one half on the other and spread all the icing over the cake.