3 large eggs
100g caster sugar
75g plain flour
25g cocoa powder
15ml hot water
115g 4.5 oz unsalted butter
8oz sifted icing sugar
20ml cold water
3 drops of Hazelnut Foodie Flavouring or alternatively 5 drops of Peppermint Foodie Flavouring
1.Preheat the oven to 220.c. Line a swiss roll tin.
2. Put the eggs and the 100g of sugar into a bowl and whisk until very light and creamy. The mixture should be stiff enough to retain the impression of the whisk for a few seconds Sift together the flour and cocoa powder.
3. Gently fold half the flour into the whisked mixture using a metal spoon.
4. Fold in the remaining flour, making sure it has all been incorporated and there are no lumps. Stir in the hot water.
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin, smoothing it over evenly and gently. Bake in the oven for 7-9 minutes until well risen, golden brown and spongy.
6. Meanwhile, have ready a sheet of greaseproof or baking parchment and sprinkle on some caster sugar. To make the sponge pliable you can place the paper over a damp tea towel.
7. Turn out the cake quickly onto the paper and trim away the edges.
8. Place a second sheet of paper on top of the sponge and roll it up loosely using the sugared paper underneath as a guide. Leave it too cool completely on a cooling rack, covered in the paper.
1. Put the soft butter in a mixing bowl and add the sifted icing sugar and add it gradually with up to 20ml of cold water. Mix everything together well until smooth.
2. When the sponge is completely cold gently unroll it and remove the paper. Carefully spread the sponge with the cream filling, then re-roll.