Flavourings FAQ

Please remember our flavours are ‘high strength’ so only a few drops are usually needed. As a guide measure start with a dose rate of around 0.15%. For example for 1 kg of product you might start with 1.5 grams (approx. 20 drops) of flavouring and for 100 grams of product you might start with 0.15 grams (approx. 2 drops) . Increase or decrease according to required taste. Some flavours may have a ‘Do not exceed’ maximum dose rate which is printed on the bottle labels or included in the MSDS data sheets, please keep this limit in mind when calculating your dose rate.

Remember that our flavours have no added sugars or sweeteners, they are not syrups but are manufacturing grade professional flavours. Therefore if you are adding our flavours to food or drinks that are not already sweetened (eg. dairy, yoghurt or drinks) you may need to add a sweetener to some flavours to bring our the flavour to your taste. An example of such a recipe is ‘Cherry Flavours Yoghurt‘ where honey is used.

It is recommended that the flavouring is added to a wet ingredient, if possible, to help it spread throughout the food product. You could also add the flavouring to a small amount of water to dilute it then add this solution to your recipe.

Foodie Flavours are high strength – to see how far Foodie Flavours can go please read our recent kitchen feature.

When Baking or Cooking

As a general guide you will need to use more Foodie Flavour in baked or cooked products. It is recommended you make trial batches of your products with Foodie Flavours to see what dose suits your particular processing. For example for baked products make up small biscuits or cakes to determine how well the dose of flavouring responds to baking. When baking some of the flavour may ‘flash off’ due to heat, so you may need to increase the dose to compensate.

As an approximate guide Foodie Flavours can be at least 10 times stronger than most regular off the shelf supermarket flavours. Our flavourings are highly concentrated – be sure to wipe up any spills quickly.  Prolonged contact with plastic, counter tops, and other surfaces may cause damage.

Flavourings are for use in foodstuffs only and not to be consumed directly.

You should avoid contact with eyes and skin. Some of the flavours are also highly flammable – full details and emergency measures are available in the data sheets available on the product pages of this website.

Our flavourings do not contain vegetable oil. They are also gluten free and dairy free. Full details for each flavour are in the data sheet available from each product page on this website.

Our flavourings are manufactured according to BRC Global Standard for Food Safety Issue 5 and the Council Directive 93/43/EEC on the hygiene of foodstuffs. These directives state basic hygiene and food safety manufacturing standards.

Foodstuffs containing Flavouring are labelled in three ways.

“Flavouring” can be used to describe any flavouring whether natural or chemical.

“Natural Flavouring” is used where the flavouring component is derived from natural sources, but where less than 95% is derived from the actual flavour name source (e.g. strawberry).

“Natural X Flavouring” – for example ‘Natural Strawberry Flavouring’. This can only be used when the flavouring component is at least 95% derived from actual source (e.g. strawberry) and the remaining 5% must still be natural. A declaration of “natural strawberry flavouring with other natural flavouring” is permitted when the flavouring component is less than 95%.

Most flavour ingredients are oil soluble and so do not disperse in water. Since most food products contain water as their solvent, emulsifiers and carriers are used in flavours to disperse the oil soluble ingredients.

Propylene glycol is a food grade, clear, colourless, solvent, which readily retains moisture (hygroscopic). Propylene glycol, known as PG in the food industry, is vert effective in dispersing oil soluble flavour ingredients. Other commonly used solvents and carriers are ethyl alcohol and triacetin.

The propylene glycol used in products from Foodie Flavours Ltd meets the requirements of the purity criteria detailed in the European Council Directive 2000/63/EC for food additives.

Propylene glycol also acts as a preservative in flavours and many flavourings would not be completely stable without propylene glycol.

Triacetin, like propylene glycol, is used as a food grade solvent.  It can be used in some flavours to dissolve powdered ingredients, such as vanillin and heliotrope.  Sometimes triacetin is used to improve the stability of flavours that are “heat stressed” in baking and cooking applications.