Bitter Chocolate sponge cake by Lara Luck
- 175 grams margarine
- 175 grams caster sugar
- 175 grams self-raising flour
- 3 free range medium eggs
- 45grams cocoa (I used green and blacks)
- 8 table spoons of warm water
- Pinch of salt
- 5 drops of foodie flavour vanilla flavouring
- 1 teaspoon of espresso coffee
- Square 20cm baking tray
- Parchment paper
- 250ml double cream
- 150 grams dark chocolate
- 50 grams milk chocolate
- 20 grams glucose
- 20 grams butter
- 10 drops of foodie flavour chocolate flavouring
- Cream butter, sugar and eggs together until mixture has come together
- Once mixture has come together add flour and pinch of salt
- In another small bowl add the cocoa powder, espresso coffee, 8 tablespoons of water and 5 drops of foodie flavours vanilla flavouring until a paste is formed, feel free to add more water if needed.
- Mix the chocolate paste into the cake mixture until the mixture turns chocolatey
- Butter the baking tray and then line the baking tray with the parchment
- Pour chocolate mixture and put into the oven on 150 degree Fahrenheit for 35 mins or until the batter is cooked.
- To check and see that the batter is cooked prick the middle of sponge with a small knife, if it comes out clear then the sponge is done.
Method for ganache
- Pour double cream, butter and Glucose into a pan on a low heat, simmer until butter and glucose melt.
- Add chocolate to the cream mixture then take off the heat and keep stirring until the chocolate has melted.
- Then leave to cool
Once the cake and the ganache has cooled pour the ganache on top of the sponge cake, add chocolate curls to sprinkle on top if you wish and put into the fridge for 45 mins.
Lara Luck social media: