This deliciously light but creamy vegan pasta sauce is quick and easy enough for a weeknight meal with its zingy fresh flavours and secret ingredients!
Secret ingredients? What could possibly be in a pasta sauce that’s so mysterious?
The first is Silken tofu. And tofu being tofu in all its blandness means it’s perfect for sweet AND savoury. The second is this magical little bottle from Foodie Flavours. Cream Cheese is the newest in their range of natural flavourings – all vegan too. And it has the most amazing smell.
Add in some lemon zing, fiery onion and garlic, woody mushrooms and bright fresh basil and you have the perfect vegan pasta sauce combo. Then when you whizz it all up with tofu and a dash of plant milk we’re definitely headed to pasta heaven. The tofu gives it that thick creamy quality that helps it really cling to the pasta. And the cream cheese flavouring gives the whole thing a burst of creamy taste.
Pasta You By
- 1 onion (red or white) – peeled and finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic – peeled and crushed
- Drizzle of preferred oil – I used extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups (250g) chestnut mushrooms – thickly sliced
- 2 cups (400g) silken tofu
- 1 lemon – grated zest and juice
- 1/2 – 1 tsp English mustard
- 1/2 cup (120ml) plant milk – I used oat milk
- 2 tblsp nutritional yeast
- 30 drops Foodie Flavours Cream Cheese
- 1 tsp salt + a few good grinds black pepper
- 1/3 cup (approx 25 leaves) fresh basil – shredded into thin strips
- Cooked pasta to serve – I used vegan spaghetti
- Blender or good food processor
- Put the diced onion and crushed garlic into a small frying pan with just a drizzle of oil and saute for 2-3 minutes over a gentle heat until softened
- Tip the onion and garlic into a blender cup or food processor bowl. Don’t wash the pan up yet!
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the pan and gently saute until golden and caramelised
- If you’re serving this with pasta, you can cook this in a large pan of boiling salted water while the mushrooms are cooking
- While that’s all cooking add the tofu, lemon zest and juice, mustard, milk, nutritional yeast, Cream Cheese flavouring and salt and pepper to the onion and garlic
- Whizz until smooth and creamy
- When the mushrooms are cooked tip in the sauce to heat through then stir in the shredded basil
- Add to cooked, drained pasta and stir to coat. Serve immediately
Visit The Cook & Him for more details on this recipe.