Sweet, Nutty and Creamy. Pistachio & White Chocolate, an utterly irresistible flavour combo.
No boring sponges here! Embrace the extraordinary with this divine, feathery-light Pistachio Cake. With the rich nuanced flavours of pistachios and the luxurious sweetness of white chocolate. Add this recipe to your repertoire and make a grand statement on any table.
- 280g Caster Sugar
- 220g Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 3 Large Eggs, at room temperature
- 80g Ground Almonds
- 50ml Vegetable Oil
- 3 Tbsp Milk
- 1 Tsp Foodie Flavours Gorilla Vanilla
- 200g Self Raising Flour, sifted
- 30-35 Drops of Foodie Flavours Pistachio Flavouring
- Green Gel Food Colouring (optional)
- 600g White Chocolate, chopped
- 250ml Double Cream
- 80g Shelled Pistachios, crushed
Servings 10-12 / Prep time 25 mins / Cook Time 25 mins
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan. Lightly grease and line three 6 inch round cake tins with greaseproof baking paper.
- Cream together the sugar and butter in a bowl for 2 mins, until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs along with the ground almonds and mix.
- Pour in the oil, milk and Gorilla Vanilla and combine.
- Fold the sifted flour and pistachio flavouring into the mixture, using a spatula/metal spoon.
- If colouring your sponges, add the colouring and fold until evenly distributed.
- Divide the mixture equally between the tins and bake in the oven for approx. 25 mins.
- Leave the sponges in the tins for 10 mins, then remove and cool on a wire rack.
- Chop the white chocolate into small pieces and add to a mixing bowl.
- Put the cream in a microwaveable jug and heat on a high heat setting in the microwave for 40-50 secs, stirring halfway through.
- Pour the cream over the white chocolate and allow it to sit for a few minutes.
- Stir the chocolate and cream together until smooth. If there are still lumps of chocolate remaining, heat the ganache in the microwave in 20 seconds bursts, stirring in between.
- Pop the ganache into the fridge to chill for around 30 mins, or until it starts to thicken and feels cool to the touch.
- Whisk the ganache either in a stand mixer using the beater attachment or with a hand whisk. Do this until the ganache is just stiff enough to hold its shape. If the ganache is too runny after whisking, put it back into the fridge for 10 minutes and whisk again.
- Assemble the cake by adding a thick layer of ganache on top of the first sponge. Add the next sponge and repeat, then place the third sponge on top.
- Cover the cake using the rest of the ganache and smooth the sides using a side scraper or angled palette knife.
- Place the cake on a cake turntable, sat inside a large baking tray. This will make cleaning up easier later.
- Take a handful of the crushed pistachios and brush them against the side of the cake in an upwards motion using your hand. Repeat this all around the side of the cake.
- Folding in the flour with a spatula or metal spoon ensures the air bubbles in the cake mixture are retained and it will help make your cake light and fluffy.
- Pop the stacked sponges into the fridge for 30 minutes before covering the cake with the ganache. This will make the cake firmer and it will be easier to cover.
- To crush the pistachios, place them in a food bag and bash them with a rolling pin.