Traditional flavours, new ideas! Tickle your tastebuds with these delightful Rhubarb & Custard Cupcakes.
- 200g Caster Sugar
- 120g Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 2 Large Eggs, at room temperature
- 125ml Semi-Skimmed Milk
- 200g Self Raising Flour, sifted
- 30 Drops Foodie Flavours Custard Flavouring
- 350g Icing Sugar, sifted
- 150g Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 2-3 Tbsp Milk
- 30-35 Drops Foodie Flavours Rhubarb Flavouring
- Red & Pink Gel Food Colouring
- 2 Custard Cream Biscuits, crumbled
Servings 12 / Prep time 25 mins / Cook time 20 mins
- Preheat the oven to 160°C fan and line a cupcake/muffin tray with 12 cases.
- Cream together the caster sugar and butter in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well in-between each.
- Mix in the milk, custard flavouring and flour.
- Fill each case approximately 2/3 full and bake in the oven for 20-22 mins.
- Leave the cupcakes in the tray for 5 mins, then remove and cool on a wire rack.
- With a handheld or stand mixer, beat the butter for 3-5 mins until pale and fluffy.
- Add half the icing sugar and beat again until combined. Repeat for the rest of the icing sugar adding the rhubarb flavouring and milk at the same time.
- Colour the buttercream a similar red/pink shade as a stalk of rhubarb. Start with a small amount of food colouring gel and mix until evenly distributed. Add more colouring if needed.
- Beat the buttercream for 5 mins, then use a silicone spatula to fold and press out any air bubbles.
- Pipe the buttercream onto the cupcakes and finish by crumbling the custard cream biscuits over the top to decorate.