Custard Cream Cake Recipe
This recipe is from Jane from Jane’s Patisserie.
- – 400g Unsalted Butter, softened
- – 400g Caster Sugar
- – 7 Large/8 Medium Free-Range Eggs
- – 20-30 drops of Foodie Flavours Custard Natural Flavouring
- – 400g Self-Raising Flour
- – 1tsp Baking Powder
- – 3-4tbsp of Whole Milk
Custard Cream Frosting/Decoration
- – 200g Unsalted Butter, softened
- – 400g Icing Sugar
- – 8 Custard Creams, crushed
- – 15-20 drops of Foodie Flavours Custard Natural Flavouring
- – 2-4tbsp of Whole Milk
- – Extra Custard Creams
- For the cake – Heat the oven to 170C/150C Fan and line two deep 20cm/8inch sandwich cake tins with baking parchment – leave to the side.
- In a stand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. In a separate bowl add the eggs add the custard flavouring and beat briefly. Pour into the butter mixture with the flour and baking powder and beat again briefly till combined – try not to overbeat!
- Loosen the mixture slightly with the milk till its like a thick gooey cake batter – Divide the mixture between the two tins and smooth it over – bake for 45-55 minutes until the cake is golden and when the cake springs back (skewer should also come out clean) (The cake can take longer/shorter time depending on the oven so check after 40 minutes!)
- Once baked, leave the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, and then remove and leave to cool fully on a wire rack. .
- For the Custard Cream Buttercream Frosting – In a stand mixer, beat the butter with an electric mixer until it is smooth and loose and then beat in the icing sugar 1/3 at a time until its fully combined. Keep beating the buttercream for 3-4 minutes on a medium speed so it starts to get fluffier and lighter.
- Add the custard flavouring to the milk and add it gradually into the buttercream whilst the buttercream is being beaten – once all in, beat again for another couple of minutes until its silky smooth and fluffy. Fold through the crushed custard creams (like you would for Oreo frosting!)
- With the first layer of the cake, spread/pipe half of the buttercream onto to top of the first layer, add the second cake on top, and then top again with the rest of the buttercream. Add a few more delicious Custard Creams and enjoy!
For the full recipe with tips and a description go to www.janespatisserie.com