Warm, syrupy pineapple slices topped with a vegan rum and raisin ice cream – this is such a perfect summer recipe!
- 2 bananas – frozen if possible
- 1 cup (125g / approx 15) dates – weight after stone removed
- 1 tin of coconut milk (see note)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) unsweetened almond milk (can sub with any other nut or oat milk)
- 15-20 drops Foodie Flavours Rum Essence
- 1/3 cup (50g) raisins
- 1 large pineapple
- drizzle of oil
- 1-2 tblsp agave or maple syrup
- Unless your dates are really sticky and fresh, soak in some boiling water for 10 minutes then drain well
- Tip into your blender or food processor along with the banana, coconut milk (the thick creamy white part not the liquid), almond milk and the rum essence.
- Whizz until thick and smooth then tip into a freezer-proof container and freeze for a 2-3 hours or until set (using frozen bananas speeds up this part!).
- When ready to serve cut the thick outer skin off the pineapple and slice the flesh into roughly 1/2 inch (1cm) thick slices – I served 2 per person. Use a cutter or something sharp and round to remove the woody core.
- Brush one side of each slice with a little olive oil.
- Heat a griddle pan then lay in the pineapple slices oiled side down and griddle for a few minutes. Brush the top side with a little more oil before turning and griddling the other side.
- Once you’ve turned the slices, drizzle a little syrup on the cooked side.
- Serve the pineapple slices while still hot, topped with a scoop of rum and raisin ice cream.
- You only want the thick white part of the coconut milk. The remaining liquid is terrific in smoothies, stews and soups and can also be frozen
- If you don’t have a griddle pan, you can roast the pineapple in an oven at 180 Fan / 200 C / 400 F / Gas 6 for 35-40 minutes until soft. Drizzle the syrup on the slices before roasting
Visit The Cook & Him for more details on this recipe.